Animal Control

1. Does the City of North Olmsted have a leash law? 

 Yes, dogs and cats are not permitted to run at large.

2. Does my dog need a license? 

Yes, Cuyahoga County requires all dogs to be licensed.  Information is available online at the Cuyahoga County Auditor's Office or by phone at (216)443-7028

3. Does the City of North Olmsted maintain a kennel? 

 Yes, the kennel is operated for dogs.

4. If my dog escapes, what do I do?

 If your dog runs away first, call the Service Department at (440)716-4151 and describe your pet. Your dog may be in our kennel or being held by another resident and the Service Department will be happy to facilitate your reunion. The City Service Department has a temporary holding kennel for dogs.  Dogs placed in the kennel between Sunday and Wednesday will be held for up to 72 hours.  If not claimed within 72 hours, the dogs will be placed with the Cuyahoga County.  Dogs found between Thursday and Saturday will be directly placed with the Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter to be kenneled. The Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter will kennel dogs for 72 hours (3 days) and if not claimed, will put the animal up for adoption.

5. I have a problem with skunks, 'possums, and raccoons. What do I do? 

We currently advise residents to call a professional critter removal company. 

7. What do we do if we have a barking dog complaint? 

Call the Police Department while it is happening (440)777-3535, and they will respond.

8. What do we do if a dog is at large running in and out of traffic?

During business hours call the Service Department (440)716-4151, after hours please call the North Olmsted Police Department (440) 777-3535.

10. I was bitten by a dog. What do I do?

Health care providers are required by state law to report animal bites to the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. If you did not seek medical treatment, call the Cuyahoga County Board of Health at (216)201-2001 x 1236. The CCBoH will follow up with the victim, notify the pet owner, and monitor in-home quarantine of the offending pet.

11. There is a dead skunk in the middle of the road. What do I do? 

Call the Service Department at (440) 716-4151 and our staff will pick it up during regular working hours as they do now.

12. Will the City provide a cage to catch feral cats?

The City will provide a cage free of charge, but we ask that you do not leave them opened over night because you will catch wild life.

For any other non emergency animal issues/questions please call Dave Demaline in the North Olmsted Service Department during business hours (440) 716-4151


The pet ordinances help keep the leash on problems.  Summary of Ordinances