Division of Building
North Olmsted Building Department Procedures during the COVID-19 Outbreak
In order to accomplish social distancing as recommended by state health authorities and facilitate accomplishment of the responsibilities of the Building Department during the current COVID-19 outbreak, the following protocols have been established and will be maintained until future notice:
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS:
Procedures to make online applications for building permits have been created. An online application can be made as follows:
- Complete the appropriate application form as required by your anticipated work. Fillable pdf format forms are available for download at https://www.north-olmsted.com/building-division/forms-and-permits/permit-applications/. This form can be completed and saved. Areas that require a signature may be completed by typing in the name of the appropriate person, with their permission. Questions regarding the correct application form or completion of the form can be addressed to Renee Meinke (440) 716-4132 for commercial work or Michele Gallo-Funderwhite at (440) 716-4133 for residential work.
- The completed application form, along with any required drawings, should be e-mailed to: NOBuilding@north-olmsted.com. Drawings need to be in pdf format and file size cannot exceed 30 MB. Commercial projects with more than 6 sheets of drawings or large residential projects will need to make arrangements to have printed drawing sets delivered to the Building Department.
- Plan review fees, which are usually due at the time of permit application, can be paid at time the building permit fees are paid for projects submitted online.
Inspections are still required to comply with the RCO (Residential Code of Ohio) or OBC (Ohio Building Code), however, some may now be completed by remote methods other than in-person, such as through photography, videography or third person approved special inspector.
- A list of required inspections is provided to the applicant when any permit is granted. This list will note any inspections that can be considered for remote inspection upon request of the applicant. In general, these will be primarily for occupied residential interior work or limited occupied commercial interior work where compliance can be demonstrated by photography or videography. Remote inspections for exterior work, where social distancing is not of the same level of concern, are not being considered at this time.
- Remote inspections will generally be permitted for minor re-inspections, some interior residential construction, furnaces, water heaters, and follow-up Inspections (if verified with the assigned inspector). It is recommended to call the inspector you have been assigned on the cell phone to verify the applicability of a remote inspection, as well as the areas the inspector will need to see to approve the work.
- The contractor will be responsible to provide photography in jpeg format or video of sufficient quality and scope so that the inspector can determine compliance with the approved drawings. Upon receipt, the inspector may make contact to request additional information, if required. Photography should be e-mailed to NOBuilding@north-olmsted.com or texted directly to the inspector. Note that text messages to inspectors may contain jpeg format pictures but any text sent is not part of the record.
- GPS coordinates and time taken must be stored as “metadata” embedded in the photo files themselves that are submitted.
OTHER ACTIONS TAKEN:
- Interior property maintenance inspections will be suspended for the interim until it has been determined they can safely resume.
- Applications can be continued to be mailed in to the Building Department at: 5200 Dover Center Road, North Olmsted, Ohio 44070.
The above noted procedures are subject to modification as required to protect the health of the public and department staff as current events progress.
The Division of Building is responsible for the enforcement of the various building codes and ordinances relating to the construction, alteration, repair, or addition to, and demolition of structures; registration and licensing of contractors; registration and licensing of apartment buildings and one, two, and three family rental properties; as well as inspection of exterior structures and related grounds for the purposes of enforcing property maintenance codes.
The Building Division seeks to use experience and knowledge gained to render consistent, fair, effective enforcement of the building and zoning codes while maintaining a positive, courteous, helpful and professional demeanor in order to provide the residents and visitors of the City of North Olmsted with relatively safe, hazard free, structurally sound buildings and properties for their use and enjoyment.
Currently, the following code enforcement requirements are effective:
- Commercial Building Code: 2017 Ohio Building Code (IBC 2015)
- Residential Building Code: 2019 Residential Code of Ohio (IRC 2018) (Read RCO Update Bulletin)
- Mechanical Code: 2017 Ohio Mechanical Code (IMC 2015)
- Electrical Code:
- Residential Construction, including One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70-17)
- Construction other than One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70-17)
- Energy Conservation Code:
- Residential Construction, including One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC-18), OHBA for new homes, and other alternatives.
- Construction other than One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC-12) or ASHRAE 90.1-2010
- Plumbing Code: 2017 Ohio Plumbing Code (IPC 2015)
- Fire Alarm Code:
- Residential Construction, including One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2016 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code (NFPA 72-16)
- Construction other than One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2016 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code (NFPA 72-16)
- Accessibility: Standards for Accessible Design (ICC A117.1-09 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities)
- Fire Code: 2017 Ohio Fire Code (IFC 15)
- Residential Construction, including One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2016 Installation of Sprinkler Systems (NFPA 13-16)
- Construction other than One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2016 Installation of Sprinkler Systems (NFPA 13-16)
- Fuel Gas Code:
- Residential Construction, including One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC-18)
- Construction other than One, Two and Three Family and Accessory Structures: 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC-15)
- Ohio adopted amendments to any of the above
- Property Maintenance Code: North Olmsted Codified Ordinances, Chapters 1363 and 1364
- Publications listed in parentheses refer to the model code that is the basis of the Ohio Adopted Code.
Ohio Building Code, Residential Code of Ohio, and related codes are available on the Ohio Department of Commerce Board of Building Standards website:
Residential Code Commentary